Huzzah for public holidays and huzzah for sewing!
After much trial and error, may I present my version of the Gertie Sultry Sheath/Sundress!
I really needed a plain but retro-styled dress for work in summer – something I could jazz up with vintage brooches or cute jewellery. This dress fits the bill perfectly!
The fabric is an amazing apple-green cotton drill from a friend’s stash, and I got the whole thing out of three meters. Not sure why it looks so creased in the photos though – its just been ironed.
The pattern took four goes to get the bodice fit right, and I nearly gave up but am very glad I stuck with it.
I didnt need to do a FBA, but there were a few quirks in the pattern that needed fixing (I would say its sized for tall, big busted football players!).
– shortened the bodice length by 1.5 inches,
– lowered dart points as they came up well over my bust line
– re-drafted the shoulder straps to actually stay on my shoulder – the original pattern is almost an off the shoulder number
– changed the sweetheart neckline to a more v-shape
– the darts under the bust looked a bit loose, so I did a shaped dart like the picture below
|Normal dart on the left, shaped dart on the right|
– changed the dirndl skirt to be a more flattering box pleat instead, using my favourite instructions from Enid Gilchrist right here
– made a matching belt (after I took the photo, of course!)
Overall Happiness Factor:
I’m definitely going to make this dress again, I want to give a black square neck version a try. I think the best part of this pattern is the fit – normally I have some gaping around the front arm hole due to my large bust, but this fits like a dream.
I’d recommend this dress, but make a couple of muslins first…