Have you ever had fabric that was crying out to be sewn up?
This Majorette fabric haunted me from the shelf in my sewing room until I did something with it.
The pattern I eventually went with was Vogue 8789 view A – only because I wanted to use part of the border print across the neckline.
I’ll be honest, I wasn’t very happy with the fit of this (similar to when I made View B last year) – it took a lot of tweaking to get the fit right. I don’t think I would use this pattern again.
I am really happy with how the belt turned out though – using a proper belt kit from the 60s.
- Small sway-back adjustment
- Deepened the darts on the back neck
- Shortened the under bust darts to avoid pointy boob
- Added darts on the front neckline – there’s no way this thing was laying flat!
- Hand pleated skirt instead of gathers
- Bust 16, graded out to 20 waist.
Probably the most annoying mod was having to rework the neckline multiple times to get it to lay flat. Not sure how it was ever supposed to look like the pattern image!
Overall, I can’t wait to wear this during summer! Green is one of my favourite colours and it’s really easy to match bakelite to the colours in dress :).
Dress – Vogue 8789
Bakelite bangles – Etsy
Bamboo Bag – Southern Antiques Centre
Brooch – eBay
Shoes – Miss L Fire Harlow