I’m sure that I’ll never get bored with the Faux Sarong Dress in Gertie’s Ultimate Dress Book!
These photos were taken on a 40C degree day at the Sydney Opera House – so please excuse my face while I’m trying not to melt into a puddle…
After the success with the leopard print version I made last year, it was time to try a totally different look using the same pattern mashed up with Butterick 9629 (I have an old repro by HappyScissors).
This time around, I added a sarong over skirt to the front, a mock tie, shoulder straps and bust detailing.
Fabric: This is Xmas lamè fabric – I kid you not.
I found it in the Xmas section at Spotlight, and bought everything I could get my hands on.
It’s thick like vintage lamè and holds it shape really well. The only downside is the strength of the fabric weave – it’s a tad loose and pressure on the seams show up. I would recommend overlocking the edges of every piece before sewing too as they frayed like you would not believe.
The whole dress is lined in matching gold cotton homespun.
I used spiral steel boning just like last time, but left off the sprung steel as I wanted to be able to sit down (and the shoulder straps would hold it up).
Surprisingly, spiral steel was enough to hold everything up – so much so go I could bra-less in this dress, the first time in my life!
To get the sarong overskirt to fit, I laid the sarong pattern piece over the existing skirt front and added and subtracted from the side until it matched. Very easy.
The bias strip around the upper edge is completely handsewn to the edges.
- Added another inch to total length (that’s 2 inches total)
- Sarong skirt addition
- No other mods that weren’t mentioned last time I used this pattern.
Once again, really happy with this pattern and how the dress turned out. It looked so fabulous that the MC Murray Hill gave us front row seats at the show Club Swizzle when he saw us walk us (win!).
I can’t wait to use the rest of the lamè in another dress, but I think I need some easy projects before I tackle using it again.