Late last year I was lucky enough to get my hands on some original vintage Mary Maxim knitting patterns and set out to make Jakk and I matching novelty cardigans!
The first cardigan off the needles was the Mary Maxim Bison cardigan for Jakk.
I used Knitpicks Swish DK and it’s definitely lovely to knit with (a little bit pilly but I’ll live with it).
The colours are Bark, Camel Heather and White.
I’m really happy with how this one came out and Jakk loves it! In all it took about 6 weeks from start to finish.
My novelty cardigan was the Mary Maxim Seahorses pattern:
For mine, I originally wanted the cover model with no pockets and a zip closure – but do you know how hard it is to find a matching zip?
In the end I went with buttons but it still makes me grumpy that I couldn’t make exactly what I wanted.
I used Knitpicks Swish (again) for this cardigan – the colours are Green Tea Heather, Bark and White.
I can’t believe how much harder this one was to knit compared to Jakk’s bison cardigan. At one stage I had 12 bobbins of yarn to manage the colourwork and it was getting quite confusing.
For mods I made the body an inch shorter, but I wish I made it more cropped in the end. If I was to knit this again I would definitely make the sleeves an inch shorter too.
And that’s me wearing it at the Grand Canyon.
While it’s not exactly what I wanted, I had another tourist tell me he wanted to steal my cardigan – so maybe it is a tad awesome.
I also have some exciting news coming in the new few weeks, so keep your eyes peeled here and on Instragram for an announcement!